Friday, March 12, 2010


Okay, blogging is supposed to be all about telling your business, so I am going to share freely. Bailey started Ritalin today. Big step! I just want to stop for a second and say that I absolutely adore that little booger JUST the way she is...this has nothing to do with hyperactivity or the fact that she's a wild-child (she totally is, LOL). It has to do with the fact that she is no longer completing her school work, and her grades are suffering. To me, that's unacceptable. As a teacher (almost), I see students every day that could do SO much more if they had the little nudge that medicine gives. How can I justify to a parent that his or her child would benefit from medication if I am ignoring the same behavior in my own child?? That being said...this was not a decision that I made easily, or took lightly.

I try to be really honest with my girls. I talk to them about things, and explain things to them the best way that I can. On the way to see Paul Wednesday, I told Bailey that he would ask her about school, and that she needed to answer him honestly about everything, even if she thought it was bad or embarrassing. She asked if she needed medicine (since we were going to see Paul), and I told her that he may actually give her some medicine to help her focus in school. MISTAKE!! LOL! When Paul came in, he asked her how school was, and she very solemnly said, "Well, it's not so good I'm afraid." Paul (bless him) held it together and said "Oh no, what in the world?" Bailey said "I need medicine to do my work...can you give me some?" I was soooo embarrassed! Paul just laughed and gave the best answer EVER! He asked a few more questions and read the paperwork from school and then told Bailey that he could give her some medicine, but that it was HER job to pay attention in school, to do her work, and to make good grades. He went on to say that I knew she wasn't really forgetting all the things that she tells me she forgets, because moms know EVERYTHING! She looked terrified! She wanted to know if he was serious...ha!

He prescribed Methyphen, which is generic Ritalin. Bailey has never swallowed a pill, so we intended to start with liquid. Unfortunately, it no longer comes in liquid, so we decided to attempt the pill. EPIC FAIL!! The poor child gave it a good try, and she was a champ, but that was just not something she could wrap her mind around. She didn't mind it being in her mouth, or knowing where it was, she just couldn't get it DOWN. We'll be dropping it into a bite of something for a while.

We're starting with one dose in the morning, hoping that it won't wear off until after lunch, when the instructional part of her day is over. I waited until today to start her on it so that I can watch her through the weekend, and it will have had 4 days in her system before school on Tuesday. The plan WAS to give it to her at about 6:30 when we leave home. Judging by today...that's not going to work. She took it at about 7:30 a.m.. At about 8:30....she got mad at Emi about something and began to WAIL! It was hard to tell if it was a Bailey fit or a medicine fit, until she was still crying 10 minutes later. She said, "I'm still upset, and I don't know why!!" That completely broke my heart...but I was still optimistic. She didn't seem lethargic at all through the morning, and ate a good lunch. She had me cracking up when she was reading to me, because every time she turned the page, she said "am I paying attention?" LOL!! At about 1:30....she was moving at double speed, and talking at triple speed. She was trying to tell me something at one point, and when I turned to leave the room, she grabbed me by the arm and planted her feet and started rattling it off at about 120 mph. HILARIOUS! I'm thinking that if this continues, we'll have to consider either a) a second, smaller dose during the day, or b) a time release. I'll try to post again tomorrow with our progress.

Any feedback or advise is certainly welcome. Please don't think I'm nutty by posting this....but in the spirit of blogging, I felt like being completely open. It's certainly nothing I'm ashamed of.

2 comments:

  1. I have a very similar story as well...call me sometime and I will tell you...237-1876!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you get it situated to suit her....

    ReplyDelete